You Are In

  • Life Goals
  • Day To Day Banking
  • Deals & Promotions
  • Digital Services
  • Help & Support
  • Quicklinks


It’s that time of the year again – tax season. While it might be overwhelming and stressful for most people, it doesn’t have to be. We’ll guide you through the steps to access e-Filing, fill in your e-Form and pay your taxes.


Be sure to check if you’re eligible as a taxpayer. If you’re taxable, you can submit your income tax return form starting from 1 March of every year, unless stated otherwise by LHDN.


All you need to get started is your latest EA form, receipts and other supporting documents. Here’s a quick overview of filing your income tax in Malaysia.

Log in to ezHASiL and access e-Filing

You can access the e-Filing system through the ezHASiL platform or LHDN’s convenient tax portal, MyTax.


If this is your first time filing taxes, you’ll need to register as a taxpayer on e-Daftar and obtain a PIN number to log in. Check out our easy guide on how to register as a taxpayer to find out how.


If you’ve already set up an account, just log in with your IC number and password. Once you’ve successfully logged in, you will be shown the ezHASiL service screen. Click on the ‘e-Form’ under the e-Filing section.


Then, select the correct Income Tax Return Form (ITRF) based on the category you fall under:


Income Tax Return Form (ITRF)


Form e-BE/BE Individuals earning income without a business
Form e-B/B Individuals earning income with a business
Form e-BT/BT

Individuals who are specialised/experts


If you’re a regular employee who does not run a business, select Form e-BE and choose your Year of Assessment. Remember, you are declaring income for the year before.


Fill in your Income Tax Return Form


Now, you’re all set to begin the actual filing process. The form has four main sections: 


  • Section 1: Individual Particulars

    In this section, you’ll need to review and update your personal details. Make sure that your bank account number is accurate to receive tax refunds, if applicable. You should also select the correct ‘type of assessment’ to determine whether you’ll be filing as a single individual or filing together or separately with your spouse.


  • Section 2: Statutory Income, Total Income and Income of Preceding Years Not Declared

    Next, you will need to declare your income from employment, rentals, and other sources in the relevant categories. Remember to key details of your annual income by referring to your EA form.

    What is an EA form? It is a Yearly Remuneration Statement that includes your salary and statutory contributions paid for the past year. Your employer should provide you with an EA form before the end of February every year.

    While filing your taxes with an EA form is the most efficient way, some employees, such as contract workers, may not receive one. In that case, you will need to compile your total income, EPF and SOCSO contributions, as well as your monthly tax deductions (MTD/PCB) from your salary slips in the year of assessment.

    Note that the annual income on your EA form(s) may not be the final figure as you may need to add non-salary related benefits, such as salary bonuses and commissions. Similarly, be sure to exclude any income exempted from income tax, such as perquisites like petrol, travel, toll and meal allowances, and benefits-in-kind like leave passages and maternity expenses.

    If this is your first time filing taxes, you’ll need to declare the previous years’ income under the ‘Income of Preceding Years Not Declared’ section.


  • Section 3: Deduction/Rebate/Tax Deduction/Tax Relief

    Here, you can claim tax reliefs, tax rebates and tax exemptions to reduce your taxable income.

    On the one hand, tax reliefs and tax exemptions are deducted from your total annual income, which is used to derive your chargeable income. The more you reduce your chargeable income, the lower your final tax amount.

    Want to reduce how much you pay for taxes? Be informed and go through the complete list of tax relief to maximise your claims and reduce your tax burden.

    On the other hand, tax rebates are calculated after you have determined the tax amount charged on your chargeable income. The rebate will be deducted from your actual taxed amount. 

    Important note:
    For future reference or inspections, make sure to keep your supporting documents, such as receipts, PRS statements and rental statements, for at least seven years from the year of filing. 


  • Section 4: Summary

    Once you’re done filling in your tax reliefs and deductions, your taxes will be calculated automatically. It should display whether you have balances due at ‘Tax Payable’ or excess paid at ‘Tax Paid In Excess’.


The final step is to declare that all the information you’ve provided is true. Simply click the ‘Sign and submit’ button. Then, enter your identification number and password to sign your submission.


Remember to save and print the acknowledgement and e-BE form for record-keeping purposes. 


Pay Your Income Tax


So, how to pay your tax balance?


If you have balances due, you will have to make payment before the deadline.

Here are a few ways you can pay your income taxes:


  • Online banking through FPX
  • Online credit card payment via ByrHASiL
  • Pos Malaysia (Cash only)
  • Via ATM (CIMB Bank, Maybank & Public Bank only)


What if you paid tax in excess?


If you have overpaid your taxes, this is due to what you have already paid through the MTD. LHDN will automatically process your tax refund after you’ve filed your tax form. The money will be credited into the bank account you’ve provided within 30 working days after the declaration is made.


As a taxpayer in Malaysia, the e-Filing system has made filing your income tax return on time easier. We hope that our handy guide for e-Filing has made the tax season less stressful and easier to manage. As you embark on a journey to financial empowerment, follow us for more helpful guides and financial advice!




This article is for informational purposes only and CIMB does not make any representation and warranty as to the accuracy, completeness and fairness of any information contained in this article. As this article is general in nature, it is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. You are advised to consult a financial advisor or investment professional before making any decisions based on the information contained in this article. CIMB assumes no liability for any consequences arising from your reliance on the information presented here.